freundlicher Unterstützung von
The country synagogue in the centre of Bensheim-Auerbach (Bachgasse) was built in 1779 in the style of the late baroque period, and belongs to the few Jewish places of worship that did not fall victim to the flames in the Reichspogrom night on November 9th/10th ,1938. At that time the building had already been sold and used for other purposes. Only few Jewish people still lived in Auerbach at that time.
The City of Bensheim recognized the former synagogue as a building of historical value, and in co-operation with the Hessian curator of monuments ensured its outer renovation with outstanding commitment. The City generously provided the necessary means to make an appropriate restoration possible.
The former synagogue was seen as a spiritual challenge by citizens from Bensheim-Auerbach and from the environs of Auerbach. Thus the Auerbach Synagogue Society was founded on March 29th, 1984, on the initiative of the Protestant and the Catholic Congregations of Bensheim-Auerbach. This society was entrusted by the city of Bensheim with having a part in the interior layout, and with the task of finding appropriate ways of using the former synagogue.
With their activities the members of the Auerbach Synagogue Society would like to
The Auerbach Synagogue Society gladly welcomes everybody who wants to join in helping to create a meeting place for people, who want to have a critical look at the German past, to derive an obligation to humanity and international understanding.
The inscription on the memorial plate on the outside of the synagogue is a verse from the bible shared by Jews and Christians, from Deuteronomy, 4,9:
Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life: but teach them thy sons, and thy sons’ sons.